The place where S.Miquel and Verge Maria streets cross, just after passing the "Cocentaina's Portal". Only the houses on the left have been restored.
The alley on St. Barbara street was one of the only remains of irregular street planning on Alcoy.
This building has been hospital, Civil Guard barracks, art school, and in the future the courts will be here. It was built in the XVIII century where the first Alcoy's church was built.
The Mare de Déu dels Desamparats church, built in 1852, nowadays it's a Christmas museum ("Museu del Nadal").
Santa Bárbara street, near Na Valora medieval tower, in the 70s, before dynamiting the buildings. The "Penya del Bon Humor" is located on this street.
The "Carreró de les Comedies" was used as a stage for theater displays. This alley was covered with cloths to protect it from the sun or the rain. The Na Valora tower was hidden within the alley's houses.
In the "Placeta del Carbó" there was the "Casa de la Vila", Alcoy's town hall, between the XVI century and 1863, when it moved to its actual location.
The building was constructed in 1572 when the previous city hall (in the Verge Maria street) became insufficient. The columns were added in 1684.
From 1864 the building was used as children's school, shops, or coalyards, from where the square got its name.
In the 50s, the building was used as municipal library, and since 1958, it houses the Camilo Visedo archaeological museum.
The original "Font de l'Àngel" was located in the center of the square, had four pipes, was octagonal and had a column in the center. It got its name because of a Saint Michael's statue on the top of the fountain.
Nowadays, only the museum's building remains, as all the other houses were demolished.
The square has been formed formed by Pintor Casanova and Sant Miquel streets, since the XIII century. It was in the center of the city until mid XVII century.
The square has been named over the years as: de la Vila, de les Corts, San Miguel's, del Carbó...
In one of the square's corners there was an alley called "dels Manyans", and previously "dels Alguacils". Of all that buildings, only remaisn the one that is included in the Casal de Sant Jordi.
The entrance to the Carreró dels Manyans and the most recent de l'Ángel fountain can be seen in this photo.
The crossing of Sant Blai and el Carme streets. If you continue straight forward, you arrive to the Santa Maria church.
Sant Miquel street before arriving to the Sant Jordi bridge. It's one of the most old streets in Alcoy, as it was created in the XIII century, when Alcoy was founded.
A curious view of el Carme street and the side facade of the San Agustín church. The buildings on the right are now a supermarket.
A view of the Santo Sepulcro Convent, before opening the Santo Tomás street in the 20s. The bell tower of the Convent is seen at the top of the photo, in a building that formed a little square in Sant Blai street.
An image of the Santo Sepulcro's facade in the 80s, when the houses in the background still existed.
The Santa María church facade over the years: initial appearance, reconstruction and current facade.
General view from Sant Jordi bridge of the Vila zone (Buidaoli, Na Valora, Museum...)
Photo of Sant Antoni street corner, before arriving to Caragol street. There's an image of Saint Anthony in the building.
Caragol and Sant Antoni streets corner about 1910. The fountain is located below on the right. Today this street almost doesn't exist.
Penáguila's bridge was the most important bridge in Alcoy until the XIX century. It was the way out of Alcoy to Penágila. It's the oldest bridge conserved (1712).
Caragol street panoramic view from the Tosal taken in the late XIX century. At the bottom center of the photo there's the now inexistent Penaguila Portal.
Another image of Sant Antoni street's corner, this time a little further.
Another view of the Mare de Déu square, in the decade of the 70s.
Other photo of Caragol street on its higher part, the only one that still exists.
View from the Viaducto bridge of Caragol and Sant Antoni streets.It was taken in the 20s by Loty.
Carme and Sant Antoni street's crossing. An unknown image that shows the old Alcoy streets' appearance.
The "San José's House" or "Casa Antiga", one of the most ancient buildings in Alcoy, until it was demolished, like all the surrounding houses. It was located on the Carme-Sant Miquel crossing.
The Placeta del Carbó in the 50s.
Image of the Museum's arches and the Placeta del Carbó in the 80s.
The Placeta del Carbó when most San Miguel street buildings were already demolished.
Mayor street in the 70s.
Mayor and Sant Blai streets crossing in 1974.
Sant Antoni street from Santo Tomás, in the 70s and in 2007.
El Carmen street from its lower part, also in the 70s.
Mare de Deu square and church, in the late XX century.
Mare de Deu square and Sant Miquel street in the 70s.
Santa Bàrbara street before being demolished in 1975.
Verge Maria street, near the Archaeological Museum.
Sant Miquel street, before arriving to where the Cocentaina portal was located.
View of Vila and Buidaoli from the San Jorge bridge.
Santa Maria's facade in the 20s.
Santa Maria's facade in the 20s.
Santa Maria's reconstruction in the 40s.