Puríssima street, with the San Roque portal, and the hidden Riquer tower, in 1925.
The Sant Roc street appeared in the XVII century as a neighborhood outside Alcoy's walls.
The Riquer tower was also a portal, but later in time, the exit changed to the actual Riquer portal.
There was an altarpiece with the image of San Roque, and a fountain with the same name at the end of the street.
In the 80s the street was demolished almost completely (except the medieval wall) due to its degradation.
The "Tou de l'Andana" was a short tunnel that led to the actual "Placeta de les Xiques" from Verge d'Agost street. It got its name from a stair located on the right that went down the Barranc de Na Lloba.
With the rehabilitation of the area, the tunnel disappeared, and has been substituted with stairs to access the Placeta.
The Piló street connects the Placeta de les Gallines with the Placeta de les Xiques. In this street some prostitution houses until 1955. That's where the "les Xiques" (the girls) name came from. The actual name (el Piló) origins from a pylon that kept cars from entering the street because of its narrowness.
The Placeta de les Gallines appeared in 1304 when the fist expansion of Alcoy, the Raval Vell. here was located the Portal Nou, when Mosén Torregrossa street begins.
The name of the square originated from the sale of chickens and other animals in it.
To the right of l'Escola street was the Lauria Palace (nowadays the City Hall, de Dins square, San Agustín church...), and the street's name was given because of a Latin school in the Lauria Palace.
When the 1835 secularization happened, the San Agustín Convent was renovated, building the Principal theater and l'Escola houses.
Sant Agustí street goes from Santo Tomás street to the Placeta de les Xiques. It was called in the medieval ages as "del Mur Vell" (the Old Wall), because of a section of the medieval wall, still conserved today. The street finished at the "Tou de l'Andana".
Barbacana street goes from the Placeta de les Gallines to Emili Sala square. This street was located on the barbican of the medieval wall.
This part of the Puríssima street was called "el Mirador", because of a balcony on the part of the river. It's on the crossing with Ambaixador Irles street, before arriving to Sant Roc's portal. In this little square still remains a XVI century building, one of the oldest in Alcoy.
The "Tou de l'Andana", on the 60s or the 70s.
Another image of the "Tou de l'Andana", surely before its demolition.
*The video is backwards (new photo first)
Building demolition to build the "Placeta de les Xiques", in the 90s.
San Juan street and "Casa Ángel" store in the 60s.
Stairs in the end of San José street, next to Barbacana street.
Barbacana street in the 80s.
Tio Caram street in the 90s.
Building in the Placeta de les Gallines.
San Agustín at mid XX century.
Verge d'Agost in the 60s.